Tuesday 29 May 2012

Photographing Movement- Part 2


Exercise 2- Panning with different shutter speeds
Aims:  Take 10-12 photo's of a scene with movement
             Take the pictures at different shutter speeds from fast to slow while following the moving subject with the camera
               Compare the results and explain which one I prefer and why

Before starting this exercise, I read an article online so I could gain more understanding of the technique required:  http://digital-photography-school.com/mastering-panning-to-photograph-moving-subjects

I still used a tripod for this exercise but loosened the head so I could easily track the subject.
Note: I have blurred the cars numberplate's for privacy reasons.

1.
 1/100     f8     ISO 100
I chose this as the first photo in the series as the higher shutter speeds were completely sharp and showed no sign of movement. This is the first where there is some blurring in the background, though it still doesn't suggest much, or fast, movement.

2.
 1/80     f9     ISO 100

3.
 1/60     f10     ISO 100

4.
 1/50     f13     ISO 100

5.
 1/40     f14     ISO 100

6.
 1/30     f14     ISO 100

7.
 1/25     f16     ISO 100

8.
1/20     f18     ISO 100

9.
 1/13     f25     ISO 100

10.

1/8     f29     ISO 100

As you can see from the pictures, as the shutter speed decreases the effect of motion is increased before the subject becomes too distorted and blurred to see clearly.  From pictures 6 to 8, I think the image is balanced just enough to create the effect of speed while retaining sharpness on the car. The background is also still recognizable but streaked to give the impression of movement as well as direction. As the shutter speed gets slower, it becomes harder to pan with all or most of the car in focus. Image 10 seams sharper than 9, though I think this is due to accuracy on my part.

This image (6.) is my favourite of the series


No comments:

Post a Comment